Tuesday, June 8, 2010

John Connolly, The Whisperers

Even the title has sent shivers straight down my spine. John Connolly has a new book coming out in July!! I can hardly wait. If you haven't read any, start with the beginning, keep all the lights on and prepare yourself for a wild ride. These really ARE thrillers, the writing is exceptional, the places and events all too real. The Whisperers (July 2010) continues the mystery series with PI Charlie Parker, in Maine. This is a series I prefer to read in order as the characters have history, which gradually unfold.
He manages to combine mystery/thriller/suspense with horror/supernatural in a very literary way (I see the Irish connection clearly). And if you have missed his children's books - they are simply excellent. Not necessarily for the faint of heart, but with a wicked sense of humour, a splash of realism and a sense of 'what if' that astounds. I re-read these, whereas I cannot the Parker series. (The realism will last my lifetime!)

No comments:

Post a Comment