Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Art of the Bookstore

There are a number of 'art' books lately - have been enjoying the Art of coversation (Catherine Blyth) although it is like 'preaching to the converted' for me. But just came across the Art of the Bookstore by Gibbs M Smith in one of my older Bas Bleu book catalogues. (I keep them to read through in case Imissed something the first time!) Smith was a publisher for 40 years and also an artist. This book has 40 of his vibrant oil paintings of independent booksellers, including City Lights in San Fran, Strand Book Store in NYC, Cottage Bookshop in Glen Arbor MI. Now I have to buy this book and visit each and every one (if I haven't already!). There are essays describing each store and its mission, and I hope some of the atmosphere that is in each painting. This looks like a charming book!

No comments:

Post a Comment