Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ariana Franklin

One day later and I just finished reading Grave Goods, the next (third) book in the Mistress of the Art of Death, the electrifying story of Adelia Aguilar in the reign of Henry II. Her child is four years old, she is still in love with her Bishop, learning/ understanding the cost of love, defying the constraints of church and state, and struggling to stay alive in wicked times. I loved the element of King Arthur in this tale, the holy place of Glastonbury, the description of Wells, places I know so dear. There is always terror in her novels, the beheadings, the traps, the thievery, the rapes, plunder and pillage. Just living in those times (I itch with every flea, bedbug and mite).
Then discovered she has written a number of other books under her name of Diana Norman, wife of Barry Norman, which rings bells as the wonderful film critic for the BBC! So I don't have to just read these novels, I can hunt for her other, earlier works.

No comments:

Post a Comment