Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ariana Franklin, Mistress of the Art of Death series

I just finished reading The Serpent's Tale, which I was thrilled to discover was a sequel to the Mistress of the Art of Death (Ariana Franklin). And then when I looked up the author discovered that there are TWO more in this series and can't wait to read the rest. The intricate characters, more so with continuation through time and historical events, the accuracy of medieval English life, gritty, horrific, seemingly endless frozen mud, the food (ghastly to outrageous) which compares with the class. The outrages of court, church and society (Adelia struggling to be accepted at a doctor, in a land that will not even allow her to think, mere woman that she is) and the men who so underestimate her. But her thoughts are fascinating, her machinations to stay alive, and live with herself, her child, with her everchanging beliefs and humanity.
I am on the lookout for the Grave Goods and A murderous procession. Rather bloody brilliant.
This reminds me of the Medicus series, such that I will have to tell another friend to read this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment