Thursday, August 21, 2014

Only the names have been changed?

Gregory Harris has started a new Sherlock Holmes series, beginning with The Arnifour Affair, current story the Bellingham Bloodbath and the next, The Connicle Curse. He has an obvious sense of the melodramatic, and the entire book (series) reeks of overstatement: Dreadful, dark, dank, fog shrouded London, profound derring do, oh my!! Oh! the pain, rocketing around London, and more dramatic phrases. The story was interesting, an afternoon at the beach read. I did finish the novel although I rolled my eyes too many times.  It is without the historical accuracy, compelling characters, tight plot or evocative writing found in the original canon, and some subsequent Holmes stories (see The Italian Secretary by Caleb Carr, Larry Millett's Minnesota Sherlock,  as well as A Study in Sherlock, the short stories edited by Laurie R King and Leslie S Klinger and to be published Nov In the Company of Sherlock Holmes).

Harris spent 20 years in film and television before turning to fiction, I suspect I didn't watch much of his programming, altho it could have been mainstream. I like my heroes less caricatures and arrogant, and not quite so much of a romp. Perhaps I am envisaging Benedict Cumberbatch. Still, there are more fascinating (to me) series including (Mrs Sherlock Holmes) Mary Russell by Laurie R King and (if Sherlock were female/child)  Flavia de Luce by Alan Bradley.

If you are a fan of  Sherlock Holmes, if you like Victorian mysteries, and if you like your Sherlock gay, this is for you. (I am not sure what this new twist to the genre has to do with the story, and consider this g-rated/cosy rather than suspense or graphic).
Quotes:
"Yer usin' too many words."
"Tell that to your Mr Wilde."
"That man tries to thwart me at every turn!"

2.5 stars
ARC Ebook supplied by Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment